On July 15th, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows–Part 2, the eighth and final part of the enormously popular Harry Potter film series, will most likely break records at motion picture box offices.
Tortured yet courageous wizard, Harry Potter, his wizard friends, the unsuspecting Muggles (or humans), and even the magical moving castle that is Hogwarts, has become stuff of unparalleled fanaticism.
A decade since the début of the first Harry Potter film, there will be a hole in our sorcery-loving souls where there was once the annual ritual of cinematic eye candy and magical misadventures. In honor of the last Harry Potter film ever, we’ve made a list of the Top Ten Mellow Songs About Magic perfect for us “muggles.”
10. “Magic”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]B.o.B[/lastfm] featuring [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rivers Cuomo[/lastfm] of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Weezer[/lastfm]
If Harry Potter didn’t learn the fabled alchemist power of turning nothing into gold, Hermione must at least have the magic in her:
I got the magic in me,/Every time I touch that track it turns into Gold/Everybody knows I’ve got the magic in me/When I hear the flow the girls come snapping at me/Now everybody wants some presto magic/Magic, magic/Magic, magic, magic/Magic, magic, magic/Oooooh/I got the magic in me
9. “That Old Black Magic”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Robbie Williams [/lastfm]and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jane Horrocks[/lastfm]
Maybe it’s that “old black magic” inside of us, but we’ve always had a fondness for the Death Eaters, especially Bellatrix LeStrange played by Helena Bonham-Carter. She’s delightfully crazy.
8. “Fairytale”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Sara Bareilles[/lastfm]
J.K. Rowling did a great job of modernizing the old fairytale structure and making a fortune from tried-and-true fables. She has no problem giving that “fairytale love” :
Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom/Man made up a story, said that I should believe him/Go and tell your white knight that he’s handsome in hindsight/But I don’t want the next best thing/So I sing and hold my head down/And I break these walls ’round me/Can’t take no more of your fairytale love
7. “Enchantment”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Corinne Bailey Rae[/lastfm]
Whether you’ve been a fan of the Harry Potter books or the films, if you are a true Harry Potter fan, you’ve definitely felt enchanted by his growing pains:
He calls, don’t you know how I fell under his spell/I’m forgiven/lately I’ve been driven/he smiles and I give in/an enchantment
6. “Witchcraft”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Matt Costa[/lastfm]
Hermione went from studious, obsessive-compulsive nerd to a beautiful yet studious, obsessive-compulsive nerd. Although she was one of the most powerful characters in the series, we’re pretty sure she wasn’t wooing over the boys with her witchcraft:
You got me feelin’ strange/Pins and pains that I cannot explain/I can’t explain/You must be using witchcraft
5. “Witch”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Bird & The Bee[/lastfm]
However, Bellatrix LeStrange might have conjured up some trouble around her:
Yes, I am a witch/And I have conjured you for my bidding/And all my charms and all my accidents/Are all just instruments, to lock you up
4. “Magic”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Robin Thicke [/lastfm]
Science might not be able to prove it, but he saw Harry Potter get the golden snitch with our very own eyes:
Science they can’t prove it/But I know I can do it/I can fly/I can bend metal with my mind/I can wake up in a paradise/Ohhhh/We got that magic
3. “Today Was A Fairytale”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Taylor Swift[/lastfm]
The Harry Potter series might have been written with a fairytale premise, but the dark undertones and constant chaos never really gave us the fairytale endings we wanted. It made us keep coming back though.
But can you feel this magic in the air?/It must have been the way you kissed me/Fell in love when I saw you standing there/It must have been the way/Today was a fairytale/It must have been the way/Today was a fairytale
2. “I Put A Spell On You”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joss Stone[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jeff Beck[/lastfm]
Harry Potter put a spell on us that will take years to get over. It’s been ten years!
I put a spell on you/Because you’re mine/You’re mine
1. “Magic”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Colbie Caillat[/lastfm]
Harry Potter’s magic wasn’t just in his wand, or fingertips; it was leaking all over his skin in the form of his iconic lightning bolt scar:
You’ve got magic inside your fingertips/It’s leaking out all over my skin, yeah/Every time that I get close to you/You’re making me weak with the way you look through those eyes
- What are you going to miss most about Harry Potter? Let us know in the comments!