1) Great River Road Drive: From Quincy to Cape you can get a perfect unobstructed view of the Mississippi River. The entire drive runs 3,000 miles through 10 states from Minnesota to Louisiana. Take as short, or as long a trip as you would like around the St. Louis area.
2) Cahokia Mounds: Where else can you get that view of downtown St. Louis from 10 miles away?
3) Garden of the Gods: This attraction is just one section of the beautiful Shawnee National Forest. The Garden of the Gods is a rock formation and cliffs made of sandstone and are about 320 million years old.
4) Grandview Drive: It’s called a ‘drive’ because that is exactly how you can enjoy it, by driving you car. The 2.52 mile driveway is about 113 years old and was once called the “world’s most beautiful drive,” by President Theodore Roosevelt.
5) Burden Falls: If you are taking the two and half-hour drive to the Shawnee National Forest for the Garden of the Gods already, then take the time to also see the nearby Burden Falls. Hiking the system of trails around the Bell Smith Springs is a favorite activity because of the rock features, scenic overlooks, hidden springs and lush flora and fauna.
Check out even more places around Illinois that have some of the most beautiful views in the country.